Recently twelve cable splicers employed by Nashville Electric Service filed a lawsuit against the utility after it was discovered that they were exposed to high levels of asbestos while removing fireproof wrapping on underground conductors. The men's supervisors had originally told them that the wraps were asbestos-free or contained a safe amount of the substance.
The Tennessee Occupational Safety and Health Administration found the company guilty of seventeen serious violations related to asbestos exposure. The men should have been provided with the proper knowledge, training, equipment, and protective gear to safely remove the asbestos wrapping from the conductors.
Asbestos exposure can lead to serious respiratory conditions, including asbestosis, mesothelioma, and lung cancer. Once asbestos fibers are breathed in by an individual, they can become trapped within the linings surrounding the lungs, abdomen, heart and other organs. After being tested, seven out of the twelve men showed initial signs of damage related to exposure to asbestos.
Despite the known hazards of asbestos, workers of all kinds are exposed to the substance every day. Are you a worker whose employer has knowingly exposed to asbestos? Do not hesitate to reach out to an experienced asbestos attorney to find out your legal options, today.
Source: Nashville Post