Cleaning up asbestos materials from an older home often requires the care and expertise of a professional abatement team. This is because asbestos fibers can cause fatal diseases if inhaled or ingested by an individual.
Recently, in Coos Bay, Oregon, a man was fined more than $9,000 for burning asbestos-containing vinyl flooring. He was doing so out in the open, putting himself and others at risk for exposure to the deadly substance.
It is not uncommon to find asbestos in older products and construction materials – it was once praised for its strength, fire resistance, and insulating properties. Today, restrictions have been made regarding how much asbestos is allowed in these products, but people are still affected when renovating, remodeling, and repairing older homes and structures.
The vinyl flooring was not the only thing the Coos Bay man was cited for: rubber tires, tar-based roofing, and a variety of plastic polymers were added to the fire, putting residents at even more risk for serious medical conditions.