In New South Wales, a southern state in Australia, over 1,000 residents are preparing to find out whether their homes pose a serious threat to their health. "Mr. Fluffy" asbestos insulation was used within the houses in the 1960s and 1970s and, despite cleanup efforts, still poses a threat to those living within the residential buildings today.
Loose-fill asbestos insulation was originally used in the attics of the homes before the dangers of asbestos were made public. Today, fibers have been found in different areas of some of the homes, including living areas and closets, prompting the state to investigate the houses of those affected, if requested.
Already, thirty-one families have been advised to move out of their homes due to the presence of asbestos. One family has announced plans to demolish their home, while many speculate the same future for the rest of the affected residences.